- Moon Mist Ice Cream - a combination of grape, banana and bubblegum flavours - the day I recently found out that Save-on-Foods carries it way out here in Vancouver was a very happy day indeed!!!!
- Donairs - Halifax has the BEST donairs in the world. I miss them. I read that King of Donairs is expanding west. I hold out hope that some day they will open a shop out here on the west coast.
- Meat Egg rolls - Here is something that I have never found outside of Halifax - egg rolls made from a meat paste. No visible veggies, just meat. They are more flat than round and they are soooo good. Below is a recipe that is as close as I can come up with (based on a compilation of other recipes) to the memories of my childhood. Any other Haligonians out there missing their childhood egg rolls?
Makes 10 egg rolls.
Time: 40 minutes (20 prep; 20 bake)
1 lb ground pork
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup shredded green cabbage
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tbsp cornstarch
1-1/2 tbsp reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp warm water
1 tsp garlic, chopped
10 egg roll wrappers
extra oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat large pan over medium high heat and and oils.
- Add pork, salt, pepper, and onions. Brown pork until cooked through – about 10 minutes.
- Add celery, cabbage, and five spice powder and cook until vegetables are soft – about 5 minutes.
- In a small, bowl combine cornstarch, soy sauce and water.
- Add to pan along with garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Take off heat.
- Place pork mixture in food processor and pulse until a smooth paste is formed.
- Place 3-4 tbsp of meat mixture in the middle of an eggroll wrapper.
- Brush beaten egg along the outside of the wrapper (about an inch wide).
- Fold one end of the wrapper over the long side of the mixture and press down. Then fold the other long side over that (like an envelope fold). Don’t make them too tight – they might burst.
- Fold the ends over about half an inch – all seams should be on one side of the egg roll. If they don’t stick you can add a bit more egg wash to make ends stick.
- Brush oil over both sides of egg roll and place on baking pan, seam side down.
- Bake for twenty minutes, flipping at 10 minutes.
- Serve with plum sauce or for something different serve with mango chutney!