Fall is here. This weekend we're in Whistler, BC. My favorite seasons to visit Whistler are summer and fall. Obviously, I'm not a skiier - I took a few snow boarding lessons but they weren't money well spent! I'll stick to running. Anyways, Whistler in fall is beautiful - a full palate of colours are awaiting outside my door. Walking through and around the village is always time well spent.
|Whistler, BC. Snow will be here soon.|
With fall comes cooler temperatures and cravings of warmer comfort foods. Chili, like this three bean beef chili, is perfect for cool days, and even cooler evenings. Add some warm, fresh bread and you've got a perfect meal to enjoy the colors of fall as the sun sets over the mountain.
1.5 lb ground beef
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15.5 oz) white cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 large onion
6-8 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp chipotle powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 28 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups tomato puree or beef broth
2 cups shredded cheese to garnish
green onions to garnish
- Over medium high heat, brown beef in large, heavy bottom pot.
- Remove beef to a bowl and leave fat in pan. Add onions.
- Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add beef and stir.
- Add sauce and puree or stock.
- Add all beans.
- Add chipotle, cumin, liquid smoke, paprika.
- Stir and simmer for at 1 hour over medium low heat.
- Serve with cheese, and green onions if desired.