"Mom, what's for breakfast?"
"Mom, what's for lunch?"
"Mom, have you seen my library books?"
"Mom, I can't find my (insert his/her favorite piece of clothing)!
"Mom", "Mom", "Mom"....sound familiar???
Perhaps you are more organized than me or at least able to get up earlier but I always find mornings a bit crazy and too short! Getting two young kids up (they used to be early self-risers but lately we've had to wake them up - which they don't appreciate :) and trying to help get them ready, fed, lunches made and, of course, get ourselves ready is a challenge.
To help find ways to ease the morning rush, I've been trying to make freezable meals that my husband and I can grab in the morning. The kids don't have access to a microwave so these don't work for them but if your kids do these would be great.
If you have time add a little sour cream and salsa to your lunch bag!
1 roasted chicken
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large red pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 cup pre-shredded carrots
1 cup salsa
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup low fat cream cheese
10 whole wheat tortillas (10 inch)
1 tbsp oil
- Pull apart chicken and shred it. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, peppers, and onions. Saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add beans and chicken and saute for additional 3 minutes to heat through.
- Add salsa and 1/3 cup cream cheese.
- Heat until salsa and cheese are hot and combined with mixture.
- Remove from heat.
- Place one tortilla on cutting board.
- Spread a little cream cheese on it.
- Sprinkle about a tbsp of shredded cheese on top.
- Add large scoop of chicken mixture in a log shape in the middle of the tortilla.
- Add another tbsp of shredded cheese on top.
- On the short sides of the mixture, fold about an inch of tortilla onto mixture.
- Tightly roll the long sides of the burrito. (Watch this video if you need to see how it's done)
- Wrap in plastic wrap.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- To reheat. Simply remove from plastic wrap and microwave for about 2 minutes - until filling is hot.