I make a batch of these every couple of weeks. I can easily individually wrap them and throw them in the freezer for snacks, breakfasts and any other time we need a bite on the go.The added bonus is that they act as a bit of an ice pack if the kids have other things like cheese or yogurt in their lunch bags!
Calories - approx 206 per muffin
Ingredients1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
2 very ripe large bananas, mashed
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (which has less protein than standard whole wheat flour, giving baked goods a more tender texture))
1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa
3/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/4 cup bran cereal
1 tbsp ground flax
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips, or chopped good quality chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place milk and cereal in large bowl. Let sit 5 minute to soften cereal.
- Mix in egg, vanilla, flax, oil, mashed bananas and avocado until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add flour mixture to cereal bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide evenly amongst 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.