These are great muffins. Not overly sweet and the whole wheat pastry flour gives them a wonderful texture not to mention extra fibre. My kids love them. Often I will make 36 mini muffins instead of the traditional size because the they are perfect when you just need a bite to take the edge off of hunger pains when dinner is still an hour away. They also travel well for snacks on the go. Mini ones usually bake in about 13-15 minutes.
Adapted from "Whitewater Cooks with Friends"
Ingredients1-3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 c canned pure pumpkin
1/3 c milk
1/2 c mini chocolate chips (optional)
1/2 c toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter for 4 minutes.
- Add sugar and beat for another 2 minutes and it's fluffy and light.
- Add eggs one at a time for 30 seconds each. Scrape down batter from sides between additions.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
- Starting and ending with flour alternate flour and milk (3 flour additions; 2 milk). Stir each addition until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly amongst 12 greased muffin tins.
- Sprinkle some pumpkin seeds on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean.