Sunday, January 27, 2013

Daring Bakers! Gevulde Speculaas




Francijn of Koken in de Brouwerij was our January 2013 Daring Bakers’ Hostess and she challenged us to make the traditional Dutch pastry, Gevulde Speculaas from scratch! That includes making our own spice mix, almond paste and dough! Delicious!

According to Francijn, gevulde speculaas (stuffed speculaas) is a traditional Dutch pastry. Despite all the steps, it is not hard to make, it doesn't take a lot of time, but it is delicious, beautiful and very traditional. The spices are amazing and reminds me of gingerbread spices. I loved the ease of making my own almond paste from scratch. To make rolling the dough easier, I divided it into medium sized ziploc bags. I also used a slightly smaller pan than suggested - 8 x 6 - which was about the size of the bags so placing the dough into the pan was easier.

The recipe got rave reviews from my family and co-workers! I highly recommend trying it!

You can download the recipe here.

The dough is easier to handle if you place it in a medium sized Ziploc bag.


Home-made almond paste goes in the middle.


Another layer of dough.
The finished cake will fill your home with the most amazing aroma thanks to the spice mix.


1 comment:

  1. Your little fingers of cake look beautiful! Nice job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete