Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chipotle Chocolate Oat Cake

You can see the oaty goodness in every bite. And a hint of chipotle heat sneaks up on your taste buds too.

I love oats. I love chocolate. I love chipotle. I love this cake! It combines all of these things into one delicious, not too sweet dessert that leaves a little heat in your mouth that makes you go back for more.

It's great on its own or with frosting and sprinkles. You can up the chipotle to 1/2 tsp if you can take the heat!


My 7 year old (& future food blogger) getting in on the action! So cute.

Ingredients
1/2 c butter
1 c boiling water
1 c large flake oats


1-1/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla


1/4 c cocoa powder
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chipotle powder


What to do
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • In large bowl, combine oats, butter and boiling water.
  • Let stand 10 minutes, stirring a few times
  • Stir in eggs, sugar and vanilla.
  • In small bowl, sift flour, cocoa, chipotle, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
  • Add to oat mixture and mix to combine.
  • Pour into a greased 8x8 pan.
  • Bake 30-35 minutes until wooden tooth pick comes out clean.
  • Cool completely.
  • Frost anyway you like!

Sprinkles add a dash of happiness to any cake!


3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous cake! Your recipes and photos are just wonderful. I've been admiring your blog and would like to award you with the Liebster Blog Award. I've just received one recently and my task is to seek out five deserving bloggers for the award as well. I have placed a link on my site to your blog. Please pop by to get more details about the award.

    Cheers,

    Alaiyo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, nice to "meet you" :) very interesting recipes. I like the combinations. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been intrigued by the combination of chocolate and chili (esp chipotle with its smokiness). And I love how your 7 year old is framing the shot!

    ReplyDelete