Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Apple-Pear Sauce


Have you ever made your own apple sauce? If not, put it on your to do list and DO IT! Homemade sauce is infinitely better than anything you buy at the grocery store. Even better, you can make it anyway you like - with sugar, without sugar, smooth, chunky, flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla ...or not! It really doesn't take long and it goes with so many things. Try your own sauce on top of oatmeal, ice cream, in smoothies, on its own, with pork or with french fries (sounds crazy, I know).

I made a big batch of apple and pear sauce the night before last and it's almost gone. The kids have had it for dessert and with their breakfast! I also made extra so I could make some fruit leather which I will post soon.

Side story: My son started kindergarten last week at a school where he didn't know anyone in his grade. I was a little worried about him making friends as he can be a little shy. I'm happy to report that last night he told me he found a new buddy. We had been coaching him to go up to kids he wanted to befriend and ask them to play at recess. When he was telling me about his new friend, he exclaimed with delight that he didn't have to go up to him because the boy came up and asked if he wanted to be friends! So cute. Even cuter ...when I asked him his new friend's name his response was "I don't know, I forgot to ask ...but we're still friends!!"  Don't you just love kids and how they think?!

Apple Pear Sauce

Ingredients
4 medium to large apples
5 Bartlett pears
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c water
1/8c - 1/4 c brown sugar (depending on sweetness of your fruit)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

What to do
  • Peel, core and chopped apples and pears into large chunks.
  • Place in large pot or dutch oven.
  • Add sugar, water, vanilla and spices.
  • Bring to boil over medium heat.
  • Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
  • For chunky sauce, mash with a hand held masher.
  • For a smooth sauce puree in a blender AFTER if has cooled or use an immersion blender.
  • Refrigerate and use within 5-7 days.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya! Found you through Knapkins and wanted to say thanks for voting! Then I saw this marvelous treasure. I've wanted to make apple sauce, going apple picking on Sunday, but I never dreamed of adding pears too!! PERFECT! Also, I see a baby bok choy recipe sittin in the suggested recipes box...drool. I'm definitely gonna be here longer than I planned!

    ReplyDelete