These muffins are small, subtley sweet and satisfying. They are not mammoth muffins we find so often now-a-days. They are great for a quick breakfast, a kid's snack on-the-run, or with a cup of tea or coffee. Remember to only fill the cups half full or you might not have enough batter.
Yield: 12 small (not mini) muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, room temperature
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Extra cinnamon and sugar for tops of muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Stir together egg, milk and 1/3 cup melted butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir until just moistened to avoid tough muffins.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. These are meant to be smaller sized muffins so fill cups about 1/2 full.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top of batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Optional: If desired, mix 1 cup icing sugar with a tsp of water and tsp lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.