Friday, May 28, 2010

Bacon, Avocado and Tomato Panini

From bat sandwich

Sandwiches are highly underrated. From the time we are kids sandwiches are apart of North American kids lives - peanut butter and jam, butter and sugar, cucumber and mayo, peanut butter and mustard, and the ever popular processed cheese on white bread are just a few classic and strange creations that I grew up with!

But now that I'm all grown up, my tastes occasionally move on to more adult classics like the BLT! I was craving one tonight but decided to substitute avocados for the lettuce when I decided to grill it on the panini press (the lettuce would go soggy in the press). I also added a bit of herbed cream cheese to make it even creamier. I used soursough bread because of the added bite in flavour and the nice crisp texture it has once pressed.


Ingredients
1/3 of an avocado
1 vine ripeded tomato, sliced
3-5 strips of bacon (I use precooked to save time)
2 tbsp herbed cream cheese
2 thick pieces sour dough bread

What to do
  • Spread avocado one one side of bread.
  • Layer bacon and tomatos on top of avocado.
  • Spread other side of bread with cream cheese.
  • Place bread cheese side down on tomato slices.
  • If desired, spread a bit of butter or oil on both sides of sandwixh.
  • Place in panini press for approximately 4-6 minutes dependingon how toasted you like your bread.
  • Carefully remove from press and cut on diagonal.  Add pickle if desired and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just purchased a grill pan/panini press a couple of days ago and absolutely loved the results. Perfect timing of your post for me! =) Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete